- McConnell Campaign Manager Quits Amid Scandal
- Obama Weighs Delay in Action on Immigration
- Judge Strikes Down Texas Abortion Law
- Neck-and-Neck in Arkansas
- Judge Dismisses McDaniel Challenge
Chris Christie Is Still a Contender, Boehner Says (Video)
Posted at 1:56 p.m. on Jan. 9
Speaker John A. Boehner on Thursday said he still believes embattled New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie remains a viable GOP presidential candidate.
But the Ohio Republican said he “wasn’t fortunate enough” to watch Christie’s Thursday news conference in which the governor apologized for his staff’s involvement in apparent political retribution against a Democratic mayor.
Christie fired his deputy chief of staff after she was implicated this week in directing the closure of several busy George Washington Bridge access lanes in Fort Lee, N.J. The move appears to have been an act of revenge for the Fort Lee mayor’s refusal to endorse Christie’s 2013 re-election bid.