- McDonnell Apologizes for Taking Gifts and Money
- Rubio Hints at Government Shutdown Over Immigration
- Close Three-Way Senate Race in Kansas
- Police Union Won't Back Democratic Convention in Brooklyn
- Is Obamacare Helping Some GOP Governors?
Chris Christie Is Still a Contender, Boehner Says (Video)
Posted at 1:56 p.m. on Jan. 9
Speaker John A. Boehner on Thursday said he still believes embattled New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie remains a viable GOP presidential candidate.
But the Ohio Republican said he “wasn’t fortunate enough” to watch Christie’s Thursday news conference in which the governor apologized for his staff’s involvement in apparent political retribution against a Democratic mayor.
Christie fired his deputy chief of staff after she was implicated this week in directing the closure of several busy George Washington Bridge access lanes in Fort Lee, N.J. The move appears to have been an act of revenge for the Fort Lee mayor’s refusal to endorse Christie’s 2013 re-election bid.