- CPAC Campaign Boot Camp Trains GOP to Catch Up
- Ex-House Candidate Will Take Top Role in Likely Clinton Campaign
- Vulnerable GOP Senators Steer Clear of CPAC
- Congressional Republicans All Over CPAC Lineup
- House Democrats Get Better Odds in California Senate Race
Boehner Has ‘Putin Envy,’ Carney Says
Posted at 2:34 p.m. on Sept. 19, 2013
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney on Thursday said Speaker John A. Boehner appeared to have “Putin envy.”
Carney was referring to a one-minute video put out by the Ohio Republican comparing President Barack Obama’s unwillingness to negotiate with the GOP over the debt ceiling with his willingness to negotiate with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“The video, I thought, demonstrated a little Putin envy — a little odd, a bit of Putin envy, on the part of the speaker. Maybe he can explain it,” Carney said.
Carney said that the president has spent “an enormous amount of time with John Boehner over the years,” and said he had no doubt the president would be talking to congressional leaders in the coming days about the importance of meeting the looming budget deadlines.