- Will Russ Feingold Be Haunted by Campaign Problems Past?
- McSally Win Gives Republicans Another House Seat (Updated)
- N.H. Democrats Prep Kelly Ayotte Challenge
- 14 Congressional Republicans Jeb Bush Helped Last Cycle
- Exit Interview: John Barrow Laments Hyper-Partisan Congress
It’s the Superdupercommittee Playlist, Part 1
Posted at 5:39 p.m. on Oct. 8, 2013
Every good production needs a playlist, and here’s one for the superdupercommittee, House Republicans’ proposal to sit down and talk, really talk, about the debt limit, government shutdown, maybe the best oyster mushroom stuffing recipes for Thanksgiving.
And what makes long meetings late into the night go better than some good tunes? Without further ado, here is the inaugural Roll Call After Dark Superdupercommittee Playlist:
1. “Super Trouper” by Abba. Don’t the Swedish supergroup’s lyrics tug at the superdupercommittee’s whole reason for being? “There are moments when I think I’m going crazy/(Think I’m going crazy)/But it’s gonna be alright/(You’ll soon be changing everything)/Everything will be so different.”
2. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” by The Rolling Stones. It’s always a good idea to go into negotiations with realistic expectations. This could be the Democrats’ theme.
3. “Mo Money, Mo Problems” by Notorious B.I.G. Superdupercommittee members would be wise to remember that more money can’t solve everything. This reflects the GOP view.
4. “Whip It” by Devo. Popular with Reps. Kevin McCarthy, Steny H. Hoyer and Sens. Richard J. Durbin and John Cornyn: “When a problem comes along/You must whip it/ … Now whip it/Into shape/Shape it up/Get straight/Go forward/Move ahead/Try to detect it/It’s not too late/To whip it/Whip it good.”
5. “Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” by Quiet Riot. This sums up how we’ll all feel after a season of superdupercommittee: “Well I’m frustrated/Outdated I really want to be over-rated/ … I got the boys to make the noise/Won’t ever let up/Hope it annoys you/Join the pack/Fill the crack/Well now you’re here/There’s no way back/Bang your head!”