- 'Mistake' to Oust Hussein, Paul Says in Brooklyn
- Laura Capps Won't Seek Mother's Seat in California
- Hillary Rodham Romney? Keep an Eye on O'Malley (Video)
- Tester's DSCC Pursues Same Strategy That Nearly Nixed Him in 2006
- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
Louise Slaughter Mourns Death of Her Husband
Posted at 6:40 p.m. on May 20, 2014
Rep. Louise M. Slaughter, D-N.Y., is mourning the death of her husband of 57 years.
Robert Slaughter, 82, died Tuesday in Washington, D.C., the congresswoman’s office reported in a brief statement.
“Mrs. Slaughter and her family deeply appreciate the thoughts and prayers of the community as they work through this difficult time,” the statement said.
House Rules Chairman Pete Sessions, R-Texas, announced the loss during a panel meeting Tuesday evening, acknowledging the reason for the absence of the committee’s ranking member.
“I’m deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Ranking Member Louise Slaughter’s husband, Bob Slaughter,” Sessions said in a statement. “Bob was a dear friend to all of us at the Rules Committee, and it is with a heavy heart that we mourn his loss. My thoughts and prayers are with Louise and the entire Slaughter family during this difficult time.”