- Citizens United Case Helped Elect More Republicans
- House Republicans Don't Expect Government Shutdown
- Christie Makes Mexico Trip as Foreign Policy Test
- Franken Maintains Lead in Minnesota
- Senator's Refusal to Resign Changed South Dakota Politics
Former Rep. Rick Renzi Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison
Posted at 5:40 p.m. on Oct. 28, 2013
A former member of Congress has been sentenced to three years in prison for conspiracy, extortion, racketeering, wire fraud, and money laundering.
Former Rep. Rick Renzi, R-Ariz., was sentenced today by a federal judge, after being convicted on seventeen counts in June.
While in office, Renzi embezzled funds from his insurance brokerage and moved them to his campaign for Congress. He also tried to get the U.S. government to swap land with one of his business partners, to whom he was in debt.
To search detailed money-in-politics databases, visit Political MoneyLine.