- Hagan Still Up in North Carolina
- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- Pataki Again Flirts With White House Bid
- Do We Elect a Governor Who May End Up in Jail?
- Shaheen Leads by Double-Digits in New Hampshire
Obama’s Advocacy Group Reroutes $100K Check from Felon Seeking Pardon
Posted at 10:03 a.m. on March 3
A fundraiser for President Obama’s advocacy group, Organizing for Action, took steps to hide a $100,000 contribution from a New Jersey doctor who was seeking a pardon for Medicare fraud.
NBCNews reported that Organizing for Action fired Samantha Maltzman, a fundraising consultant, for her actions in trying to keep the contribution secret. Maltzman asked the donor, Dr. Joseph Piacentile, who was convicted of Medicare fraud in 1991, to write a new check made payable to a sister organization, America Votes. When NBCNews inquired about the transaction, officials at Organizing for Action located the check, before it left their offices, and returned it.