Shutdown and Debt Limit Worries Bring Down Stocks
Posted at 7:56 a.m. on Oct. 4, 2013
Stocks are taking a hit over the last five trading days while Congress struggles with the government shutdown and action on the debt limit. The Dow Industrial Average closed yesterday at 14,996 down 332 (2.16%) from its close last Thursday at 15,328.
In looking at specific companies we selected ten that are very active politically and whose PACs have given the most to federal candidates and committees so far in 2013. A review of these ten companies shows that 9 had drops in value and 1 gained.
1. Honeywell Int’l. (HON) last Thursday close 84.05, yesterday close 81.45
2. Northrop Grumman (NOC) last Thursday close 96.37, yesterday close 93.08
3. AT&T (T) last Thursday close 34.23, yesterday close 33.04
4. Lockheed Martin (LMT) last Thursday close 129.85, yesterday close 122.83
5. Raytheon (RTN) last Thursday close 79.80, yesterday close 74.92
6. General Electric (GE) last Thursday close 24.25, yesterday close 24.10
7. Home Depot (HD) last Thursday close 76.07, yesterday close 75.88
8. Boeing (BA) last Thursday 119.38, yesterday close 115.24
9. CSX (CSX) last Thursday close 25.98, yesterday close 25.68
10. Pfizer (PFE) last Thursday close 28.52, yesterday close 28.77