- CPAC Campaign Boot Camp Trains GOP to Catch Up
- Ex-House Candidate Will Take Top Role in Likely Clinton Campaign
- Vulnerable GOP Senators Steer Clear of CPAC
- Congressional Republicans All Over CPAC Lineup
- House Democrats Get Better Odds in California Senate Race
Ratings Update: New York’s 4th District
Posted at 2:24 p.m. on Jan. 8, 2014
Citing her battle with lung cancer, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., announced her retirement on Wednesday. The congresswoman leaves behind a 4th District that Barack Obama won with 56 percent in 2012 and 2008, and John Kerry won in 2004, 53 percent to 46 percent.
There is a chance that Republicans could challenge for the open seat under certain conditions. But we’re keeping the 4th District as Safe for Democrats for now in the Rothenberg Political Report/CQ Roll Call ratings, until Republicans prove they have a candidate who can compete.
Roll Call lists some potential candidates here.