- McConnell Campaign Manager Quits Amid Scandal
- Obama Weighs Delay in Action on Immigration
- Judge Strikes Down Texas Abortion Law
- Neck-and-Neck in Arkansas
- Judge Dismisses McDaniel Challenge
Ratings Update: New York’s 4th District
Posted at 2:24 p.m. on Jan. 8
Citing her battle with lung cancer, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., announced her retirement on Wednesday. The congresswoman leaves behind a 4th District that Barack Obama won with 56 percent in 2012 and 2008, and John Kerry won in 2004, 53 percent to 46 percent.
There is a chance that Republicans could challenge for the open seat under certain conditions. But we’re keeping the 4th District as Safe for Democrats for now in the Rothenberg Political Report/CQ Roll Call ratings, until Republicans prove they have a candidate who can compete.
Roll Call lists some potential candidates here.