- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- GOP Report Says Party Intolerant to Women
- Both Parties Brace for Obama Immigration Decision
- Iowa Lawmaker Guilty of Receiving Illegal Payments
- The ISIS Economy
Wheeler Talks Net Neutrality, Municipal Broadband at NCTA
Posted at 7:20 p.m. on May 2
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler spoke at the National Cable & Telecommunications Association convention in Los Angeles, and the video’s below in case you weren’t able to make it to sunny California.
Here are a few quotes about his proposed rewrite of “net neutrality” rules that’s been circulated at the FCC after an appeals court struck down the majority of the agency’s 2010 rules:
- “Reports that we’re gutting the Open Internet are incorrect. I’m here to say to you, wait a minute, put away the party hats. The Open Internet rules will be tough, will be enforceable and with the concurrence of my colleagues will be in effect with dispatch.”
- “Let me be clear – if someone acts to divide the Internet between haves and have-nots we will use every power at our disposal to stop it. And I consider that that includes Title II.”
- “We will not allow some companies to force Internet users into a slow lane so that others with special privileges have superior service.”
On municipal broadband systems:
- “I have said before that I believe the FCC has the power, and I intend to exercise that power, to pre-empt state laws that ban competition from community broadband.”
Wheeler was president and CEO of the industry group from 1979 to 1984.